Wednesday, June 20, 2007

iPod - A Changing World

I like talking about new inventions and what to do to our lives. Today I would like to focus on the iPod from Apple.

First there was the cassette Walkman, then the cd Walkman, mini disk and now the iPod. The iPod is a music player just like the Walkman, but instead of cassettes it uses a hard disk to store music in digital format.

Now the great improvement of the iPod over its predecessors is its storage capacity. An iPod today can store enough music to play non-stop 24 hours a day during 6 weeks.

Now what's does that mean? That basically means that you can have your entire music collection on it. There is even storage for music addicts like myself (and I like a LOT of genres like classical, jazz, heavy metal, drum & bass, breakbeat, flamenco, Turkish & Arabic, Indian traditional music, etc, etc). That in turn basically means that you can have your music collection on you where ever you go, at a party, in your car, at work etc etc …

Now with the iPod Video models you basically your iPod acts as a portable video player as well. This means that you can stick a few movies on your iPod before you go on a trip, connect your iPod to the Hotel's TV set using the AV cables and watch a video with your lady.

The list of accessories is ever growing and there are some real useful gadgets available nowadays. Personally I can now listen to my iPod at home on the stereo, wireless (using iTrip). I have remote controls (both Airclick and apple remote), I always have it in the car (using Roadtrip), I use it as a portable hard disk, I use it to store my photographs when I am doing a shoot and have no laptop on me (using Media Reader), I record new idea’s on the guitar so I don’t forget them (iTalk) and so on!

I find it normal now that I can have this multifunction device on me wherever I go. Two years ago I could not unload my big RAW photographs onto a small handheld device that also stores my entire music collection and connects to my computer, TV, home and car stereo.

What I am trying to say is that inventions like the iPod seem like nice gadgets but in fact they are changing your lives! In a positive way imho.

I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings!

http://www.ipodresourcecenter.com/iPod_-_A_Changing_World.html